bog design

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I "Mustache" You a Few Questions...


I had seen an idea on Pintrest by Christie (http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/I-Mustache-You-A-Question-Writing-Activity-More) where she had the students write a question.  Then she took a picture of them with a mustache and titled it "I Mustache You a Question."  I thought the idea was so cute and I had to do it with my second graders.  Of course it needed some adaptations.  The first thing I did was make it more developmentally appropriate. I told them to pick a character from their favorite book.  Then I asked them to have a topic sentence, ask the character three questions, and to get our higher level thinking skills in, I asked them to tell me why they wanted to know this information.  I especially like how this made wrting a question so concrete for them.  When we were done, they definitely knew the difference between an asking sentence and a telling sentence.  They even knew...wait for it...the difference between a question mark and an exclamation mark.  I know, right?  They were so excited and did such a great job!  I found these straws with paper mustaches so I gave them each their own mustache and took their pictures.  This turned out to be one of their favorite writing assignments...and one of mine too!










No comments:

Post a Comment